Monday 3 June 2013

Reminiscing 'Bout The Time

Firstly I must apologise for using a Blazing Squad song lyric as my title. Believe me I know it's sad but whenever I hear the word 'Reminiscing' that song pops in my head!
For my younger readers (if I have any) Blazing Squad were a 10 boy rap 'gang' in the early 00's who supposedly had a few top ten hits like 'Crossroads' which was just about them meeting some girl at a crossroads but never going anywhere! Weird.
I also went to see them once (by accident I hasten to add) a club in Bolton used to hold an under 18's night and one night my friends and I decided to go as Busted were playing there and that was literally the highlight of our year. It turned out Blazing Squad were also there and they were pants!!

Anyway I digress. Recently I went to see my best friends in Cambridge & London (hence me writing on the train last week) and we had so much fun! It's so good to see them again as I haven't seen them in about 2 years. We always talk about the past when we get together and remember what has happened in the past that has made us nearly pee ourselves laughing.

In Year 11 (5th year for you old buggers), we went on a school trip to the Somme. Now some of you may know that I went to the Somme nearly every year with my parents. My Dad was really into WW history and my sisters and I spent many a holiday looking for soldiers graves so my Dad could research them for the Lancashire Fusiliers. At the time it was so annoying but I genuinely loved those holidays! So this trip with school was a good opportunity to go back to my childhood. It was the funniest holiday I have ever had with my friends. There was a group of about 15 (?) year 11 students and on the way down to get the Eurostar we were up at 3AM singing The Darkness' I Believe In A Thing Called Love. Bet our teachers loved us! Also my best mate Phil got his head stuck in between 2 coach seats (still the funniest moment of my life ever) and no-one helped him for about 10 minutes as we were too busy laughing and taking pictures. Then me and friend Rach pretended to be penguins for the majority of the trip and just bobbed around a lot. Don't get me wrong we did actually learn about the Somme and there were moments when we were serious but send a load of 5th years away together 3 months before they're due to leave high school and they will have fun!

The next trip  was with my best friend Ruth when we were in College and went to Disneyland Paris as mentors to the young'uns. We were adults! We were allowed to basically do what we wanted, it was amazing but we did have some very small responsibilities. At the time, I really fancied a guy from college that I barely knew and I remember we were talking about it on the way back to our hotel one night, I can't remember the conversation but I remember I had to stop a few times as I needed the loo and Ruth was making me laugh so much! That holiday was a really nice girly week away and I had so much fun with Ruth. Just remembered her Dad (who was our deputy head and came away with us) rang our room one morning, Ruth was in the bathroom and I picked up the phone. Now Ruth and I do sound very similar and this deep voice said "Hello Darling, I'll meet you in the reception with Gina in 10 minutes" I was mortified when I had to explain I wasn't his daughter!

Anyway what I'm trying to get across in this week's blog is that always make time for your friends and family and make new memories with them as well as thinking about the old ones. I promised my 2 mates I wouldn't leave it 2 years again to see them, it will probably be less than 2 months but at least I know they'll always be there for me, getting me drunk and making me walk round London for 9 hours (Phil). I'm really glad I have my old memories with them but there's always room to make more!


No comments:

Post a Comment